[tei-council] constraints on <publicationStmt>

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 29 11:26:04 EDT 2014

On 29/09/14 16:04, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> We relatively recently insisted that a <publicationStmt> must have some sort
> of authority, if the contents are structured at all.

Yes, we concluded that "publication" has to be carried out by some
agency and that agency must be indicated first.

> I just met this in EEBO TCP:
>
>                 <publicationStmt>
>                    <pubPlace>Printed at London by R.I. for L. Chapman, and are to be sold at the sign of the Crown in Popes-head Alley,</pubPlace>
>                    <date>1654.</date>
>                 </publicationStmt>
>
> Do I correctly conclude the markup is just lazy/wrong, and needs to either extract the details, or
> wrap these elements in a <p>?

I would suggest that <pubPlace> here is being slightly misused since it
contains a lot more than "the name of the place where a bibliographic
item was published". I'd change it to <publisher> or <authority>, given
that <imprint> (which is what I suspect most people would call it) won't
work.