[tei-council] datatype loosened too far?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Sun Sep 14 15:46:45 EDT 2014

On 14 Sep 2014, at 18:30, Syd Bauman <syd at paramedic.wwp.northeastern.edu> wrote:

> In r12926 SPQR changed the datatype of valItem/@ident from data.name
> to data.text without comment; neither bug 647 (nor 148) were closed.
>
> My instinct is that this is a bad idea: data.text is way too floppy.
> (It boils down to RNG:string, I think; we want at least RNG:token if
> not data.word+, no?)
>
> I'm not sure what, if anything, to do about this. Sebastian -- is
> there some reason we want RNG:string?

long-standing argument, isn’t it.

values for valItem/@ident will often (sometimes) be keys in foreign databases, URLs, email addresses etc, as per discussion on 148;
the latter claims  for Feb 2010 that "Council reviewed the original proposal, and agreed (eventually) that @ident on vaIIem to be should be locally defined with a more flexible datatype (string was proposed)”

flogging dead horses? sleeping dogs?

bug 148 _is_ closed, by the way
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.