[tei-council] List @type musings

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Aug 6 11:25:08 EDT 2014

On 14-08-06 08:17 AM, James Cummings wrote:
> On 06/08/14 13:34, Martin Holmes wrote:
>> All the following elements have local versions of @type, but are not
>> members of att.typed:
>> teiHeader, idno, distinct, q, num, measure, biblScope, stage, divGen,
>> titlePage, titlePart, metDecl, castItem, move, sound, tech, recording,
>> form, orth, gram, iType, usg, lbl, xr, oRef, oVar, dimensions, fw, app,
>> witDetail, constitution, derivation, domain, factuality, interaction,
>> preparedness, purpose, fsDecl, fsdLink, fs, graph, node, listForest,
>> tag, classSpec, macroSpec, valList
>>
>> Should they all be added to att.typed, and their local @type
>> reconfigured as an override?
>
> I'm of the opinion that they should be. Indeed I believe this
> might be the ticket in question:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/tei/feature-requests/384/
>
> PaulS might not object if someone wanted to steal it?

I knew I remembered something about this. The ticket is amber, though.
The process is easy:

1. Add element to att.typed.

2. Add @mode="change" to attDef.

3. Add @mode="add" to valList if there is one.

(All in the elementSpec file for the element.)

I'm inclined to think it would be a good idea to look at each one
individually before switching it over, just in case there's something we
haven't thought of. There may also be cases where the datatype is
different (it may allow multiple values, for instance), so that would
presumably need @mode="change" too.

Shall we set this ticket to green, and then anyone who would like to
practise their source-editing skills can volunteer themselves for a
couple of these and do some commits?