[tei-council] List @type musings

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 6 11:21:33 EDT 2014

On 06/08/14 14:53, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> On 6 Aug 2014, at 14:46, Syd Bauman <syd at paramedic.wwp.northeastern.edu> wrote:
>

>> However, I'm with James -- @type should be inherited from att.typed
>> unless there's a good reason not to. (Which nowadays is "don't want
>> @subtype", which is pretty darn rare.)
>
> and in extremis @subtype cabe removed for a given element.
> i recall someone once found a place where @subtype would be meaningless,
> but its hard to imagine. few things can't be subdivided.

It certainly has been argued before, but I forget
where...presumably one of those that has a local type and no
subtype, or one which is a member of att.typed and deletes
subtype. Our general decision is that any element that can be
repeated and for which there is any sensible form of
classification can receive att.typed (but we shouldn't go adding
it willy nilly, but use that as a measure when deciding in
reaction to FRs).  Personally, I'm of the opinion that if you can
classify anything then subclassification is always a possibility.
membership in att.typed should be the default and only in
extremis should we ever have a local @type attribute. (And since
that should be so unusual it is almost reason for a different
attribute name.)

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk