[tei-council] DTD generation and overriding @rend, again

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Sat Aug 2 07:08:22 EDT 2014

I just replied to Martin about this on the Stylesheets issue tracker, but some
others of you may appreciate more info on the problem, so I copy my response here.

I looked at this last night. The important thing to understand is the difference between compiled
DTDs, where we reduce down what was requested to a useable DTD, and parameterized DTDs where everything is left in place, behind guards which can be switched on or off in the document instance DTD subset. The overriding of @rend in <list> works in normal (compiled) circumstances as it ought to, but fails in the parameterized situation. <list> asks for a named attribute from a class, with an entity reference, but that entity is undefined because the whole module in which it occurs has been set by default to be ignored. If one asks for a whole attribute class, that's taken care of by default empty declarations.

In order to fix this, one has to make default empty declarations of all attributes from each class. So its doable, at a price.

Its questionable, however, whether we want to maintain producing the parameterized DTDs. Does anyone actually use them?
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.