[tei-council] correspDesc proposal: some feedback.

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 1 07:04:03 EDT 2014

Since we are all tasked with providing feedback on the
correspDesc proposals
http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Meetings/tcm60.xml#Correspondence
by 1 august.

Here are my brief thoughts, some of which we discussed at the
face to face meeting.

I would separate discussion of correspDesc for detailed data
capture and have a later customisation of this for an interchange
format.  I think the interchange format is a good idea, but
doesn't need to muddy the water for initial proposals to change
the TEI. (A question is whether this interchange format should
also be documented in the guidelines or not. I'm undecided about
that.)

As discussed at the face to face, a number of the proposed
elements are very similar to existing TEI elements. I do feel
Council should resist the addition of new elements where not
necessary to stop overall bloat of the TEI. This does not mean we
shouldn't add new elements, but just that the case for them needs
to be clearly made, especially when existing elements might be
used, or modified to include new uses.

Possibilities for using existing TEI elements:
<ct:sender> = <persName role="sender">
<ct:dateSender> = <date type="sender">
<ct:placeSender> = <placeName role="sender">
<ct:addressee> = <persName role="addressee">
<ct:dateAddressee> = <date type="delievery">
<ct:placeAddressee> = <placeName role="addressee">
<ct:correspClass> = <keywords>  (using inside <ct:correspDesc>
gives heirarchy to know it is relating to correspondence.)

<ct:correspDesc> – This generally makes sense as an enclosing
element. Having option for model.pLike+ makes sense and is in
keeping with general TE structured vs unstructured descriptions.

<ct:transmission> – seems generally reasonable to me but I worry
isn't sophisicated enough. Any transmission may have multiple
stages of transmission. (I hand write you a letter, someone types
it up for me, they send it by fax, someone takes the fax printout
and puts in in an envelope, where some hotel staff deliver it to
you while you sip margaritas.) So either one uses multiple
transmission elements or it has a need for more structure inside
it for different stages of transmission.  As far as I can
conceive any stage in transmission might have a change of three
major parts, the format/material of the correspondence (paper,
MIME, smoke), the method of delivery (postal delivery, email,
smoke signalling relay), and the agency responsible (courier
company, a person, etc.). As well also each has changes in
dateTime or location  –  so this might benefit from more structure.

<ct:context> maybe appropriate existing mechanisms for standoff
but not sure, otherwise generally looks ok. I'm assuming content
model of correspDesc means context repeatable for multiple
contexts. While one could use context/ref/date, is there a need
for context to claim membership of att.datable?

Those are the thoughts that occurred to me while rereading the
proposal in github.

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk