[tei-council] Guidelines build temporarily borked

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Jul 30 11:14:11 EDT 2014

On 14-07-30 03:51 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> naaaaasty one.
>
> you have overridden @rend on <list> in order to give a semi-closed value list; because @rend is part of att.global, you
> can no longer simply inherit att. global; so instead you inherit all the other components separately. however, the vagaries
> of DTDs means that those components are not declared yet, whereas the composite att. global _is_.
>
> frankly, I’d suggest you simply  drop the nice suggested value list for list/@rend. We don’t suggest values
> for @rend anywhere else, so why do so here?

The objective was to give a standardized replacement strategy for people
moving from @type (where we did declare suggested values) and @rend. I
think if there is any value in having the Stylesheets render lists in
predictable ways, then there have to be predictable values for @rend. We
don't have to declare them in a valList, but if we don't override @rend,
we have nowhere to suggest them other than in remarks, which is not ideal.

> sorting out the underlying processing code to support what you’ve (which was entirely
> technically correct) will be hard; I at least wouldn’t look at it in time for next release,
> and I suspect it would be a big ask for someone else to grok odd2dtd in a hurry

It depends on the release date, really, and we don't know that yet. The
only real requirement is that the rendering for the Guidelines (HTML5,
PDF and ePub) be working; all the other outputs can wait a while.