[tei-council] rowing back on <mixedContent>

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jul 5 10:53:51 EDT 2014

On 04/07/14 20:25, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> if a TEI element says its content model is
>
>    model.someThing, model,someThingElse+
>
> and model.someThing has no members, should that
> flag an error?

Interesting. Does model.someThing still exist if all of its members have
been deleted? If we think it does (as an idea in the mind of James Clark
or something) then the content model above is equivalent to "nothing"
followed by model etc.  Which is presumably feasible. If however we
think that a model class has no existence apart from its members, then
deleting all of its members is tantamount to deleting the class. In
which case the content model should fail because it requires something
that doesn't exist.