[tei-council] rowing back on <mixedContent>

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Jul 4 16:13:02 EDT 2014

On 14-07-04 12:25 PM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> an abstract question for you.
>
> if a TEI element says its content model is
>
>    model.someThing, model,someThingElse+
>
> and model.someThing has no members, should that
> flag an error?

Oooh, good question. I think it has to, doesn't it? You're insisting on
the presence of something (small t) before someThingElse, and if there's
nothing which could be there, then there can't be any valid uses of the
element. If a schema includes an element which cannot be used, then
something's surely wrong.

I guess what should be flagged by an ODD processor would be the
inclusion of a model which has no members. That's unambiguously wrong,
isn't it?