[tei-council] 35.3 hours

Syd Bauman syd at paramedic.wwp.northeastern.edu
Fri Jul 4 14:27:28 EDT 2014

That's how long it took me to get home. I left 37 Wellington Square
at ~05:48 +01. I got home ~2.2 hours ago, at 12:06 -04. Highlights of
this comedy of errors include 1 delayed flight, 2 cancelled flights,
several bits of mis-information from United staff, what little free
wireless there is at EWR not working, > 4 hours of waiting on various
lines at EWR, ~1.5 hours of waiting on hold for United phone
assistance, listening to a 20-something year old princess headed to
West Palm Beach tell the United desk agent that "I have to be on that
flight -- it can't leave without me ... tomorrow is my birthday and I
can't be traveling in my birthday", a power failure in EWR terminal
C, lightning over the runway, inability to get food while at EWR for
fear of losing place on line, both Amtrak trains from EWR to PVD
already full, connecting with a very nice fellow also heading towards
Providence while on line to get assistance re-booking (which we never
got), being told it would take a minimum of 2 hours to retrieve our
luggage (which I not only haven't gotten yet, United hasn't even
found it yet), renting a car with said fellow and driving as far as
Groton CT, staying overnight in a hotel (~4 hrs sleep), and (when I
finally got to my car) finding that I had left a door ajar, and thus
the battery was stone dead.

I hope others had better travel experiences than I.