[tei-council] rowing back on <mixedContent>

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 4 11:47:36 EDT 2014

On 04/07/14 15:34, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I wonder now, though, why we are bothering? we are supplying <mixedContent>
> simply to provide a safe environment for those who will need to make an XML DTD
> from their efforts.

I believe that the same restrictions as to where textNode is permitted
apply also in W3C schema. So this is not just a matter of retaining
compatibility with old fashiooned DTD language, as you seem to imply. Do
you have evidence to the contrary?

My view is that providing a special case "mixed content" element is a
good way of distinguishing a feature we provide solely for compatibility
across all existing schema processors from the more general but not so
widely implemented cases. Those who "just" want mixed content can have
it without having to figure out how to do it using the rather more
verbose method
in pure pure odd.