[tei-council] TEI Simple update

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Sun Jun 29 11:26:48 EDT 2014

A few devil's-advocate responses from my first reading:

This bit is obviously important for us: "5 Full integration of TEI
Simple into the TEI Guidelines and infrastructure with ongoing
maintenance by the TEI Technical council."

What will this look like? I'm imagining, for instance, that on the
reference page for an element which is used in Simple there's a "Simple"
link which shows you an alternative reference page, which includes any
constraints on content or attributes in the Simple environment, along
with processing expectations from Simple's processing model. The budget
costs this work at $3,600 and assigns it only one month. That suggests
that what is envisaged is something along these simple lines, rather
than any wholesale rewrite of Guidelines chapters.

"The first step in this project will be the definition of the TEI Simple
dtd or schema." Why DTD? Whywhywhy?

'A "cradle to grave" processing model is at the heart of this project.'
I'm not sure about that phrase "cradle to grave". It presupposes that
output formatting can be characterized either in a language that can be
assumed never to change, or in a more abstract manner which we can
expect to be able to map onto changing rendering technologies
indefinitely. The former is difficult to imagine, while the latter is
going to leave lots of room for interpretation. Later on, the document
is more explicit in saying that the processing model will be represented
in HTML and CSS; that's very specific and short-term, surely? HTML5 has
actually brought HTML somewhat closer to TEI in adding a lot of
<details>, and we can expect that this process might continue. Isn't it
a bit shaky to argue that mapping (for instance) <tei:div> to
constitutes a processing model?

If the main objective is to map to HTML/CSS, at least initially, why
keep @rend? Since you just have to map all your @rend values to CSS
anyway, why not specify that CSS be used exclusively, through @style and
[@]rendition?

What happens when someone encodes an element in such a way as to violate
the expected processing model? For instance, <persName> is defined in
the table as an inline element. What if someone has block-level
<persName>s in their text, and encodes them with @style="display:
block;"? Is this a violation of some kind? Or will the processing model
define precisely how this overriding of default expectations should be
handled?

The discussion of BlackLab reminded me of Philologic. Should Philologic
be mentioned? It also added XML-awareness to a traditional relational
database query engine. Also, should it be mentioned that Lucene is
already integrated into eXist, giving the best of text-search combined
with XML structural awareness?

I'm not convinced of the need for this extra header mechanism to encode
machine-readable explanations of what is or isn't in the text. Surely
any machine worth its salt can ask "descendant::(s|cl|phr|w|m)" or
whatever to discover what tags or attributes have or haven't been used?

Typos etc.:

"this will be used (possibly with proposed extensions to the ODD
language) to secure map all the elements of Simple to the CRM" (s/b
"securely").

"The TEI standard and all documents related to the maintenance of that
standard are fully in the public domain. So will TEI Simple and all
documentation relating to it." The absence of a verb in the second
sentence jars a bit.

"widely known in the TEI community for his work on anything that involve
the transformation of a TEI document into something else." (s needed on
"involve").

This paragraph appears twice in section 7: "Lou Burnard will be one of
the consultants. We expect to identify the other(s) by midsummer. The
assignment of consultant time to different phases of the project remains
to be worked out, but will generally follow the proportions of the
budget allocations in the work program outlined above. "