[tei-council] allowText

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 9 11:58:28 EDT 2014

On 9 Jun 2014, at 13:17, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>> i would go with the most explicit (c) every time, as most extensible/sustainable.
>> i don’t read a) as meaning "(text | a | b)*”
>
> That's because you don't consider the full implications of @allowText.

I’d claim back that you’re limiting yourself to XML rules, which we don’t need to.

>>> Of these only the first currently generates (text | a | b)*  The second
>>> generates
>>> (text | (text | bit | bob))* which is gibberish; the third generates
>>> just (a | b)
>>>
>> behaviour of c) is a bug. a) is tricky - the current output is not ideal,
>> but is an LCD
>
> Eh? What does the display device have to do with it?

lowest common denominator

> you mean to alternate sequences? yes, but do we really want two different ways of indicating a non-alternated sequences ?
>
> <content>
>  <elementRef key="a"/>
>  <elementRef key="b"/>
> </content>
>
> and
>
> <content>
> <sequence>
>  <elementRef key="a"/>
>  <elementRef key="b"/>
> </sequence>
> </content>
>
> both generate the same rng

I can live with that. the <sequence> is just putting in extra (), as one often
does unnecessarily.

why people think occurrence constraints are ignored baffles me, there is plenty
of code supporting them….
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.