[tei-council] allowText

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 9 11:54:21 EDT 2014

On 9 Jun 2014, at 13:25, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca> wrote:

>> i would go with the most explicit (c) every time, as most extensible/sustainable.
>> i don’t read a) as meaning "(text | a | b)*”

I think

   elementRef
   elementRef

means that these two things occur in that order

> What does it seem to you to mean? Of should it just be wrong to have
> elementRefs directly in a <content>?

no, if there is a single flat list with no group, I am happy that they just sit
there as children of content

> I've been confused about the meaning of <alternate>, which seemed to me
> to mean "a or b but not both”.

yes, it does. you need occurrence info to get both a and b

> I was looking for a grab-bag element -- <anyOf>, or something like that.

it does mean anyOf. By default, just the once, though.

> <sequence> also confused me a bit; it seems to mean what it says until
> you notice the @preserveOrder, which if false completely undermines its
> semantics.

<sequence> a b c </sequence> means you must have a, b and c, in that order.
<sequence preserveOrder=false>a b c </sequence> means that you must have
a, b and c, but the order doesn’t matter

Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.