[tei-council] allowText

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 9 07:21:27 EDT 2014

Sorry to bang on about this, but we need to resolve the issue.

I want to express in pure ODD the content model (text | a | b)*

I can imagine 3 ways this might be done in pure ODD

(a) <content allowText="true">
        <elementRef key="a"/>
         <elementRef key="b"/>
     </content>

(b) <content  allowText="true">
        <alternate>
          <elementRef key="a"/>
          <elementRef key="b"/>
        </alternate>
</content>

(c) <content >
        <alternate allowText="true">
          <elementRef key="a"/>
          <elementRef key="b"/>
        </alternate>
</content>

Of these only the first currently generates (text | a | b)*  The second
generates
(text | (text | bit | bob))* which is gibberish; the third generates
just (a | b)

So which of these should be reported as a bug?

Personally, I stand by my view that (a) is the right way to express the
required content model. It is not ambiguous unless you think that
multiple ungrouped elementRefs implies a sequence. But if that were
true, why did we invent the sequence container?

p.s. I haven't included occurrence indicators above; if you do they are
always ignored anyway. In the fullness of time they should generate an
additional schematron constraint perhaps.