[tei-council] Wot is wrong with my ODD?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jun 8 17:18:31 EDT 2014

On 8 Jun 2014, at 22:10, Lou Burnard <lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>> I dont think the content model should be different depending on the existence of @allowText.
>
> We could go back to having a different element (<mixedContent>) then? with a different content model/semantics?
i dont see a need

>> i would turn this around, and say that you continue to use sequence or alternate as you
>> desire, but that only alternate + @allowText makes sense if you’re generating XML
>> schemas, so a <sequence> would be rewritten as an alternate at the moment in this situation
>
> So sometimes my <sequence> generates a sequence, and sometimes it generates an alternation? I thought you didn't like ambiguity?

no, your <sequence> always means sequence; but if you generate an XML schema, that will only
reflect the alternation. in due course, we add Schematron to enforce the sequencing. Not the same
thing as ambiguity

>>> 3. @allowText is not supported on anything other than <content> (its
>>> presence elsewhere is is a corrigible error in the current spec)
>> disagree, for  futre proofing.
>
> I hear what you're saying. But we don't want a dozen ways of doing the same thing.

true as a principle, of course, but I dont see the relevance here.

>> we need Schematron rules which enforce XML, not a weakening of Pure ODD
>>
> hear hear

good, we agree on that at least
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.