[tei-council] Wot is wrong with my ODD?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jun 8 15:04:58 EDT 2014

I dont think I quite agree with Lou’s interpretation.

> Let me try to summarise the rules as I see them this afternoon:
>
> 1. The content of <content> can be
>
> -- nothing (the element is empty)

OK

> -- a single elementRef or macroRef or classRef (the content is a single
> element, a pattern, or a class reference)

OK

> -- a sequence or alternation of the foregoing in which case <sequence>
> or <alternate> must be used to group them (and supply occurence
> indicators if required)

OK

I dont think the content model should be different depending on the existence of @allowText.

> -- nothing (the element has text content)
>
> -- one or more elementRefs or macroRefs or classRefs (the specified
> content is alternated with text 0:n times )
>
> -- if sequence or alternation are specified, it is an error since we are
> only supporting XML at present, and it would therefore make no sense to
> allow them

i would turn this around, and say that you continue to use sequence or alternate as you
desire, but that only alternate + @allowText makes sense if you’re generating XML
schemas, so a <sequence> would be rewritten as an alternate at the moment in this situation

> 3. @allowText is not supported on anything other than <content> (its
> presence elsewhere is is a corrigible error in the current spec)

disagree, for  futre proofing.

we need Schematron rules which enforce XML, not a weakening of Pure ODD
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.