[tei-council] allowText contd

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jun 8 13:30:34 EDT 2014

there are four variables in this conversation:

  1. what you are allowed to do in XML
  2. what is implemented by the current XSL for the Pure ODD constructs
  3. what the Pure ODD constructs are supposed to do in theory
  4. what they are documented and implemented in their schema as doing

so I suspect I am not alone in being fairly confused.

Just because @allowText doesn’t make sense in contexts where you are
generating XML schemas doesn’t mean it is wrong.

if I understand aright, this:

(text | a | b | c)+ | ( d | e | f)*

is maybe not possible to express in XML, but is a perfectly reasonable request.
So whether its useable now or not, Pure ODD should express it. So @allowText
on <alternate> _does_ make sense.

Obviously the most important variable is 3. above. We should first sort that out
without reference to XML constructs, and only worry about 1. and 2., i.e. what
actually can work now.
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.