[tei-council] Fwd: [tei:bugs] #617 <num> not a part of att.segLike (and thus of att.fragmentable)

Fabio Ciotti fabio.ciotti at uniroma2.it
Thu May 22 06:39:37 EDT 2014

My opinion is to reject the request since:

1) the same happens for many phrase level elements with similar
semantic functions as <date> or <measure> etc. For simmetry we should
change them all
2) <w> is (should) be used to carry morpho-syntactic features of its
content, whil <num> bears a semantic tract of its content, so they
have different markup semantic
3) there is a fairly simple solution for both the issues, that is
4) in the worst case the issue can be faced with a local extension of
TEI scheme.

Fabio

assigned_to: Fabio Ciotti
Comment:

Assigning to Fabio Ciotti for triage, reporting to council, and implementation

________________________________

[bugs:#617] <num> not a part of att.segLike (and thus of att.fragmentable)

Group: AMBER
Created: Tue Oct 29, 2013 09:39 PM UTC by Ville Marttila
Last Updated: Tue Oct 29, 2013 09:39 PM UTC
Owner: Fabio Ciotti

Considering that the element <num> is parallel to the element <w> in
annotating a number, which can from a linguistic point of view be
considered a word-level unit, it should also belong to the att.segLike
class. This would not only provide it with the @function attribute for
annotating its syntactic function but would also include it in the
att.fragmentable class, allowing the annotation of incomplete numbers
(esp. Roman numerals which are often quite long and can easily be
partially lost).