[tei-council] @calendar and @datingMethod

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue May 20 16:58:51 EDT 2014

On 14-05-20 01:54 PM, Lou Burnard wrote:
> I've had a quick look and think this looks good, though I think it might
> make clearer that the custom-xxx attributes provide a (non-standard)
> normalized form, perhaps by complementing same with the standard
> normalised equivalent.

I did think about this, and the precise date used in one of the examples
would make a good basis for this; we could add @when with the
corresponding Gregorian or proleptic Gregorian date. This is most
practical with precise dates; when you're dealing with years, then a
single Julian year has to be turned into a date-range in Gregorian
because the beginnings of years don't align.

When I get a chance I'll add another para to the bottom introducing the
@when to the same example, and explaining it.

> In the meantime I've taken on myself the other action suggested by the
> ticket -- a sweep through the <att> elements in P5 to see if there are
> any other rogues. I found about twenty <att> elements which don't
> correspond with  a TEI:attDef/@ident : the vast majority are simple
> cases where a @scheme attribute has been omitted, or where the attribute
> name has been translated into Spanish for some reason. I'll fix them up
> shortly.

Great. We should probably do this as part of the Test build, really. But
it's conceivable that we might use <att> or <gi> to talk about things
from other namespaces.