[tei-council] note in sourceDesc

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Mar 12 14:30:49 EDT 2014

On 14-03-12 11:14 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I am unsure whether I believe in
>
>     a) have a system for different content models for <p> in header and in text
> or
>     b) making a new element for the header
>
> i incline to both. i.e.it is good to get a) working for when we need it, but
> actually I don’t think its the right answer here, we need the neutral
> “text container” element for use in the header.

We already have <ab> for that, I think. The situation presumably is that
people feel they are writing in paragraphs, or should be able to do so,
not in "anonymous blocks", even when they're writing in the header.

> Allowing <note>
> just obfuscates matters further in my book, by diluting <note>
> to a catchall container with no real semantics at all.

I have some sympathy with this. At the same time, I do tend to like more
elements to be available in more places as a general principle.

> BUT if we went to not having <p> in the header, and dropping DTDs,
> we’d be in serious trouble with our users. Declaring backward incompatible
> P6 effectively forks the TEI, and might double the maintenance.

It's no different from moving from P4 to P5: there's a new version,
we're mainly focused on developing that, and we do maintenance update to
the old one for a specified period of time. Meanwhile, encouraging
people to move away from DTDs is doing them a favour, but no-one is
required to. I still have one P4 project that works fine, and I'm not
planning to migrate it in the near future.

> So I vote for
>   * doing nothing here, Lou’s <note> is just sticking plaster on a weeping sore
>   * recommending people use Schematron to constrain <p>

This is the key, really. Very few users know that the Schematron exists,
and even fewer know how to write it. It's difficult to know how to
overcome this, because it requires XPath skills, and I can't imagine any
sort of easy-peasy Roma interface that would make it accessible to novices.

>   * working towards a solution whereby we have a separate <p>
> 	for the header, with different semantics and content model,
> 	but actually call it <p> :-}

Yes, definitely.