[tei-council] note in sourceDesc

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 12 14:14:57 EDT 2014

I am unsure whether I believe in

   a) have a system for different content models for <p> in header and in text
or
   b) making a new element for the header

i incline to both. i.e.it is good to get a) working for when we need it, but
actually I don’t think its the right answer here, we need the neutral
“text container” element for use in the header. Allowing <note>
just obfuscates matters further in my book, by diluting <note>
to a catchall container with no real semantics at all.

BUT if we went to not having <p> in the header, and dropping DTDs,
we’d be in serious trouble with our users. Declaring backward incompatible
P6 effectively forks the TEI, and might double the maintenance.

So I vote for
 * doing nothing here, Lou’s <note> is just sticking plaster on a weeping sore
 * recommending people use Schematron to constrain <p>
 * working towards a solution whereby we have a separate <p>
	for the header, with different semantics and content model,
	but actually call it <p> :-}
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.