[tei-council] note in sourceDesc

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 12 12:04:37 EDT 2014

On 11/03/14 18:47, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> The reasoning there is fairly iffy.  You’d be the first one normally
> to hold up your hand and say we shouldn’t make individual changes like this
> to suit one project, but should look at the bigger picture. Which in this case
> is the age-old issue of <p> in the header.

I certainly agree with this.

> I think you’re conflating two distinct things:
>
>    a) possibly <note> is a good addition to all the <p>-like contexts in the header.
> not that convinced myself, but it’s a case to make

I don't actually object to that... I'm generally in favour of
<note> in more contexts. Though as with the use of <p> in the
body of a text vs <p> in the header, I worry that we're somehow
stretching the semantics of <note> if using it like this since it
turns it into a general purpose container rather than a 'note or
annotation'. I may be splitting hairs there though. I wouldn't
scream and shout if note was available more places in the header.

>    b) your problem today that you want to constrain <p> very severely but don’t
> want that to affect the header.  the solution you propose (allowing
> note in sourceDesc) is uncharacteristically limited and non-scaleable, imho.

It might be desirable to be able to limit the content of <p> in
the header (or text), but the you get into the question of
whether we really should be having two different elements.  I
still support the replacement of a highly limited <para> (or
whatever) in the header.

> then there is the possible red herring of
>    c) the issue of how one says “there is no source” in the mandatory <sourceDesc>.
> I refer the court to the Rahtz/Driscoll anti-matter proposal of last autumn…..

If the sometimes overly problematised witterings of the new
historicists taught us anything it is that there is *always* a
source.  I would argue that your TEI might be 'born digital' or
'created from the fantasies of my puerile brain', but then _you_
are the source and everything you have experienced in your life
up to that point is an influence on you as that source. If you
truly think you create documents ab initio with no sources or
influences then I recommend some omphaloskepsis to consider the
matter. I'm not suggesting you document all those influences in
your <sourceDesc>, merely that if created from scratch then that
this act of creation deserves to be documented. Potentially even
*more so* if it has no 'source'. <sourceDesc><p>Created by
Sebastian Rahtz on 2014-03-12</p></sourceDesc>.  I'm not saying
that author/date aren't recorded elsewhere but documenting the
source of this TEI document is important metadata and we
shouldn't ever encourage people not to provide it. This is one of
the reasons that having <listPerson> in <sourceDesc> is a good thing.

If we had made, for example, <sourceDesc/> legal to indicate
"there is no source but the person listed as <author> in the
titleStmt" then this would encourage people to do this even when
there was a source.  ("Oh, I'll go fill that in later...") This
would be, IMHO, a bad thing. We can't make people do good things,
but we can try to prevent them doing bad things.

My two pence,

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk