[tei-council] non TEI attribute namespace

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Mar 4 11:53:30 EST 2014

I think it would be better for interoperability and clarity if we
required (or strongly advised) that all custom attributes be explicitly
declared in a different namespace. For processors, this means that all
unprefixed attributes, along with those prefixed attributes that are
part of the standard schema, are known to be TEI, and all custom
attributes can easily be distinguished because they are neither in the
xml namespace nor in the empty namespace.

It also makes it easier to group custom elements and custom attributes,
because they'll presumably be in the same namespace(s).