[tei-council] Linking issue in the Guidelines

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Thu Feb 27 13:27:12 EST 2014

That ought to work... except... when I go in to make changes to the page
"handle404.html", the same changes are applied to "handle500.html". They are
linked files in OpenCMS (and this is something I haven't dealt with before). We
probably wouldn't want "Page not found" for a true 500-level server error. So we
would need to create a separate HTML page for server errors.

I think that would work. Can it wait for 10 days, however, unless someone else
wants to muck about in Open CMS?

David

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014, Martin Holmes wrote:

> Try the attached page and see what it looks like.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> On 14-02-27 09:31 AM, David Sewell wrote:
>> I think that could be done by changing the OpenCMS type of the file from
>> "JSP" to "text file". The styling would need to be done by manually
>> copy-pasting from the generated HTML for a site page, because it
>> wouldn't inherit any of the OpenCMS templates. But it wouldn't be hard
>> to create something nicer than the existing one.
>>
>> David
>>
>> On Thu, 27 Feb 2014, Martin Holmes wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if we could just replace that JSP page with a static page?
>>> The only thing a 404 page tells you other than that something's not
>>> found is to echo back at you the URL you tried to access, which isn't
>>> very useful anyway, since it's in your browser address bar. A
>>> dead-simple HTML page based on our regular templates might work as a
>>> drop-in replacement.
>>>
>>> I could be misunderstanding how the JSP calls work, though.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Martin

PO Box 400314, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4314 USA