[tei-council] Deleting an attribute from its class, but reinstating it on an element

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Feb 26 14:11:34 EST 2014

Hi all,

I'm trying to do the following:

1. Delete @sameAs (among others) from att.global.linking; but

2. Reinstate it on the <category> element.

I thought this would be the way to do it:

<classSpec ident="att.global.linking" module="linking" type="atts"
mode="change">
   <attList>
     <attDef ident="sameAs" mode="delete"/>
   </attList>
</classSpec>

[...]

<elementSpec ident="category" module="header" mode="change">
   <attList>
     <attRef class="att.global.linking" name="sameAs"  />
   </attList>
</elementSpec>

But the @sameAs attribute doesn't reappear on <category>. I must be
missing something. Any ideas?

<attRef> is a bit under-documented at the moment, with no mentions in
the prose of the Guidelines other than its listing in spec lists, and
only one example, which is a bare element with no context. If I can get
this working, I'll turn it into a proposed new bit for the Guidelines
with a full example, since it's a real use-case.