[tei-council] Further purification

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Feb 6 08:34:02 EST 2014

On 14-02-05 06:29 PM, Syd Bauman wrote:
> The same (probably true) observation makes me think we should make an
> effort to use it consistently. :-)
>
> I won't put up a big hissy fit about keeping (after all, we *can* get
> the same expressive power from Schematron), but I think org=choice a
> powerful ODD construct we should keep. Furthermore, if we allowed
> @usage on <attList>, we would have the capability to express "one of
> these attributes is required", which seems useful.
>
>> prompts me to wonder whether we should remove that structure from
>> ODD anyway, and push the problem back to Schematron. we don’t use
>> it consistently.

I'd rather like to adopt the principle that we only fall back to
Schematron if we can't do what we want to do in the regular schema. The
main reason for this is that I have almost never seen people validate
their TEI files with the embedded Schematron (except in my own
projects). I suspect the vast majority of the TEI-using population don't
even know the Schematron is there.