[tei-council] Fwd: Re: TEI Object Working Group

Stefanie Gehrke stefanie.gehrke at biblissima-condorcet.fr
Sun Feb 2 02:29:31 EST 2014

Bonjour,

James asked for comments on a proposal for a WG, so here are some thoughts to the current proposal regarding the WG on the consequences of a TEI <object>.

>From my point of view the TEI already started considering descriptions of objects of any kind, not only TBO,
see also TEI-Council Face2Face-Meeting November 2013
where the question has been brought up that we then would need sample data.

A positiv decision to consider descriptions of objects of any kind would, as far as I can see it, allow
to create for example TEI-files on « works » ( = abstract objects) and associating relations,
and there are certainly lots of different ideas what to describe in TEI.

Personally I can see an existing demand for reflecting on synergy between FRBRoo and CIDOC-CRM and the TEI.
As already mentioned in November, we are (in the scope of the French Biblissima project) working on an RDF framework
for several databases including TEI encodings.

Finally the results of the Europeana Regia project on Medieval Manuscripts already pointed in the same direction. An almost complete mapping between TEI and EDM would only be possible if one could express relations between CHOs in TEI. As far as I understand, probably a lot could be achieved by extending the scope of relation to the (proposed) object elements and to events, as the SIG Ontologies TEI MM 2013 suggests.

The main challenge would be, in my opinion, together to look on the manuscript description from that 'new' object/relation perspective to get an idea about the possible synergies.

A very interesting topic, looking forward to an upcoming discussion.

Regards and bon dimanche
Stefanie

PS: If the TEI is interested in sample data, it would be my pleasure to ask project partners for their approval.

--
Stefanie Gehrke