[tei-council] gearing up for release 2.6.0

Peter Stadler stadler at edirom.de
Sat Jan 18 17:47:03 EST 2014

Dear all,

this is to officially remind you of the upcoming release which we decided to be carried out next Monday (i.e. the day after tomorrow!)
I (Peter, ‚special status release technician‘) plan to start things in the morning around 9 AM (CET).
It’s been calm at tei at sourceforge in the last days so I assume that everyone is actually aware of this date and paused his/her work.

Now the unofficial part.
I’m a little bit nervous and appreciate any hand that will hold mine (not the whole day, but it’d be good to know someone (from Oxford?) being around). BTW, is the #tei-c IRC channel the best way to reach out for help since I’ve never seen someone around there? Or shall I send an email?

Additionally some questions that came up:
* P5/ReleaseNotes/readme-2.6.0.xml: is this considered complete by now?
* item 7 from http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Working/tcw22.xml seems outdated.
** I already log in as user tei and I’m not able to sudo (asks for password). Question 1: Do I need su power?
** I do not find a bin directory and svnUp.sh. What I do find is the TEI svn subtree „P5“ at /var/www/vhosts/tei-c.org/private/P5. Question 2: Is a simple ‚svn up‘ on that directory enough?
* tei-database-rebuild.sh: I think the hostname case switch must be adjusted

Some proposed changes to tcw22.xml so far:
* "What you will need before you start“, item 2 (Shell access on the TEI SourceForge project)
I propose to join this item with with 3 and 7 (well, not in one item but to have these in a sequence) and to add a line to the last one (or even a new item): Test it by trying to log in via ‚ssh sfuser,tei at frs.sourceforge.net‘ *from* the tei server. That should *not* prompt for a password while echoing „Welcome! This is a restricted Shell Account. You can only copy files to/from here.“
* "Step-by-step instructions“, item 1 ("Ensure that P5/ReleaseNotes/readme-X.X.X.xml has been written“).
The next line declares this to be an uncommon procedure since the TEI Council chair should have already create that file. So, it seems to me the actual issue for the release technician is to simply remove the „beta“ from the version number which can easily be forgotten when you are not looking closely at the following paragraph.
I propose to change the heading to "remove „beta“ from P5/ReleaseNotes/readme-X.X.X.xml version number“ and emphasize this procedure in the first paragraph.The edge case of creating that file can be discussed subsequently.

Many thanks in advance
and all the best
Peter