[tei-council] Release changelog

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Jan 10 11:19:37 EST 2014

On 14-01-10 05:42 AM, Peter Stadler wrote:
> James tasked me to go through P5/ReleaseNotes/ChangeLog in order to
> beef up the release notes at P5/ReleaseNotes/readme-2.6.0.xml Since I
> have not been involved in council work for the relevant period I do
> find it a little hard to just guess by the commit messages on how
> important this particular change was. So, I turned the (relevant
> period of the) changelog into a spreadsheet (world writable) at [1]
> and my idea is that everyone can just flag his/her commits she/he
> thinks are important. What do you think? Totally nonsense?

No, it's a lot easier to read than commit logs. :-) And it reminded me
that the popup footnotes are going to be new in this version of the
Guidelines too -- I'll add that to the readme.

> Second, I think the issue comes up during every release preparation
> and I wonder whether it might be good practice to add some special
> keywords (e.g [ignore], [fix], [important]) to the commit messages
> already to facilitate the task of creating a meaningful changelog? In
> fact, I think there are tools that will do that for you but I have
> not much expertise in this field.

That would be a good idea, but major changes usually take a few commits
to get them right; you'd end up with a smaller list of important
commits, but many of them would be related to the same feature.