[tei-council] issues on Schematron and deprecation

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 9 17:09:36 EST 2014

On 9 Jan 2014, at 18:11, Syd Bauman <s.bauman at NEU.EDU> wrote:

> I am about ready to check-in the new extract-isosch.xsl and changes
> to the GLs to go with it.
>
> 1) Can someone remind me (a git novice) *how* to check in the
>   stylesheet change, and more importantly (other than typing fast),
>   how to check those and the GL changes in so that Mr. Jenkins uses
>   both new versions?
* do the Stylesheets, wait until that build finish (a few minutes)
* do the P5 changes

simples.

> 3) The context= of a constraint that does not have one is now
>   reasonably set when the constraint is in:
>   * elementSpec//attDef
>   * elementSpec
>   It is handled, but not very well yet, when in
>   * classSpec//attDef
>   * classSpec

without itemising every member of the class, I can’t see how you _can_
get this right. is that what you plan to do?

>   It is not handled (but should be -- I think I know how, just
>   haven't got to it) when a child of
>   * schemaSpec
>   It is not handled (and should not be) when in
>   * macroSpec

are these contexts not just “tei:*”? if indeed there are examples of
such

>   I have taken the liberty of unilaterally deciding that having a
>   constraint in <macroSpec> that does not specify a context should
>   not be allowed, and added a <constraintSpec> to <constraintSpec>
>   to flag when this occurs.

fair enough.

I can see  that it could be desirable to add a constraint to one of the data.* macros,
checking on the date in some way. for example, would you use this
to check that the date was always the first Monday of the month?

> possible problem
> -------- -------
> I'm not sure, but I think the extraction will screw up if the input
> document has two or more different URIs assigned to the same prefix.

this seems to me the sort of thing that makes James Clark look
gloomy and say he wishes namespace prefixes to the devil.
I’d be quite surprised if you could ever really sort this out automatically.
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.