[tei-council] constraint prose WINITA

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 4 12:15:51 EST 2014

On 04/01/14 14:50, Syd Bauman wrote:
> he prose of <ref target="#TDTAGCONS">22.4.4.3 Additional
> constraints</> needs some work. Mostly it says <gi>constraint</>
> when it means <gi>constraintSpec</>. But also, e.g. "outside the
> scope of conventional schema languages" asserts that rule-based
> schema languages are not conventional, which their more ardent
> adherents might wage war over.

I've revised that section quite a bit: will check it in later tonight so
you can see if you think it's improving.

> Also, the 2 examples of non-Schematron <constraint>s are in the
> tagdocs for <constraint> and <constraintSpec>, and for the former it
> is the only example. Certainly the tagdoc for <constraint> should
> show Schematron constraints. But shouldn't the main prose demonstrate
> non-Schematron constraints?

Even more surprisingly, imo, the main text doesn't even explain what the
dickens this "schematron" thing is -- no mention of e.g. ISO/IEC
19757-3:2006
Information technology -- Document Schema Definition Languages (DSDL) --
Part 3: Rule-based validation -- Schematron anywhere that I can see.