[tei-council] Things needing translation

Syd Bauman s.bauman at neu.edu
Mon Dec 30 18:46:26 EST 2013

> >   Currently, versionDate= is put on the non-English <desc>,
> >   <gloss>, <exemplum>, <valDesc>, or <remarks> only. I.e., it is
> >   not put on the canonical <desc>, just the translation <desc>s.
> >   (There are 6 exceptions.) This, it seems to me, is a mistake.
> >   If we required versionDate= to be on every att.translatable
> >   element that was, in fact, translated (including the
> >   canonical), then the comparisons would be *much* easier, no?

> no, I agree. thats what will be in place by Friday

4 out of 5 isn't bad. But as I look at the Guidelines today, there
are 425 elements that have both a child <exemplum> with versionDate=
and a child <exemplum> without versionDate=. Since <exemplum>s aren't
necessarily grouped by the example contained, some of these might be
OK. But I really doubt all 425 are -- I bet most are instances where
we should be putting @versionDate on the <exemplum>s that don't have
it.

There is a list of the culprits at
   http://bauman.zapto.org/~syd/temp/4TEICouncil/exemplumVersionDates.html

Each table is preceded by a heading that indicates what the
<exemplum>s are in. Each table has 3 columns: @xml:lang,
@versionDate, and first 64 characters of text.