[tei-council] list types and rends: bug 460

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Mon Dec 23 12:37:23 EST 2013

This makes perfect sense; but the chapter does appear to be making the
claim that @n is, or can be, transcribed from the text:

"If the numbering or other identification for the items in a list is
unremarkable and may be reconstructed by any processing program, no
enumerator need be specified. If however an enumerator is retained in
the encoded text, it may be supplied either by using the n attribute on
the item element, or by using a label element."

The chapter claims that these two examples are equivalent:

I will add two facts, which have seldom occurred in
the composition of six, or even five quartos.
<list rend="runon" type="ordered">
  <label>(1)</label>
  <item>My first rough manuscript, without any
    intermediate copy, has been sent to the press.</item>
  <label>(2)</label>
  <item>Not a sheet has been seen by any human
    eyes, excepting those of the author and the printer:
    the faults and the merits are exclusively my own.</item>
</list>

I will add two facts, which have seldom occurred in
the composition of six, or even five quartos.
<list rend="runon" type="ordered">
  <item n="1">My first rough manuscript, without any
    intermediate copy, has been sent to the press.</item>
  <item n="2">Not a sheet has been seen by any human
    eyes, excepting those of the author and the printer:
    the faults and the merits are exclusively my own.</item>
</list>

However, the first example transcribes the numerals with parentheses
(presumably as they originally appeared in the text), while the second
provides @n attributes where the numerals do not have parentheses.
Processing #2 will require magic knowledge to restore the parentheses.

It's very handy to have normalized versions of chapter, page and list
item numbers or symbols (although if they're regular, in that they
accord with a straightforward count, they can be calculated). But it's
not true to say that these are equivalent to textual transcription; and
I think the chapter prose gives that impression.

--
Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)