[tei-council] list types and rends: bug 460

Paul Schaffner PFSchaffner at umich.edu
Fri Dec 20 15:54:12 EST 2013

This all sounds good. With the possible exception (dare I mention it?)
of @type="gloss".  This has always been an odd creature, as the
unusual prose of the guidelines makes evident ("it is a semantic
error for a list tagged with type="gloss" not to have labels.")
I agree that @type="gloss" is a type, but it is type with stronger-
than-usual rendering (or perhaps structural, content) implications:
for many people it simply means "equivalent to html:dl" (even as
@type="ordered" was shorthand for "= html:ol" and @type="simple"
?for = "html:ul"). But I think we've clarified the guidelines enough
on this count to pass muster.

pfs

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013, at 14:54, Martin Holmes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> <https://sourceforge.net/p/tei/bugs/460/>
>
> I was tasked with analysing the use of list/@type and list/@rend. This
> is the brief analysis, along with commentary and recommendations. Please
> read through the ticket itself before commenting; this is one issue
> where we've repeated our discussion at least once, and whenever we come
> back to it we seem to start right back at the beginning. :-)
>

> Analysis of usage of list/@type and list/@rend in the Guidelines:
>
> Our suggested values for list/@type are:
>
> ordered, bulleted, simple, gloss
>
> In Guidelines prose, we use:
>
> list type="gloss": 59
> list type="simple": 107
> list type="ordered": 32
> list rend="simple": 4
> list rend="ordered": 4
> list rend="specList": 1
>
> In examples:
>
> list type="ordered": 19
> list type="gloss": 25
> list type="speakers": 8
> list type="simple": 8
> list type="bullets": 3
> list type="unordered": 2
> list type="index": 2
> list type="attendance": 2
> list type="參與者": 1
> list type="inline": 1
> list type="indexentry": 1
> list type="encoders": 3
> list type="編碼員": 1
> list rend="runon": 5
>
> Some thoughts and recommendations based on the above analysis:
>
> "gloss": This is clearly a type of list, and we are using it and
> exemplifying it as such.
>
> 	Recommendation:
>
> 	Leave "gloss" as a suggested value for @type.
>
> "simple": I have no idea what this means. In the Guidelines, both
> @type="simple" and @rend='simple' are rendered as a bulleted list; yet
> we recommend "bulleted" as a value. This is silly. If "simple" means
> anything, it should mean "with no distinguishing features", i.e. not
> bulleted or numbered or anything. Furthermore, the third example in the
> list spec seems to be of a list which is intended to be rendered in a
> single paragraph (see source at
> <http://books.google.ca/books?id=Iq08AAAAYAAJ&pg=PA157&lpg=PA157&dq=These+decrees,+most+blessed+Pope+Hadrian&source=bl&ots=0xX2qtSUG3&sig=yLDKHUvE1BmdF9kRLVgeT006HwY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=cJG0UsjnEM34oATarYGQDA&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=These%20decrees%2C%20most%20blessed%20Pope%20Hadrian&f=false>),
> so the example and our own practice do not accord.
>
> 	Recommendations:
>
> 	Remove "simple" as a suggested value from @type, and make it a
> suggested value on @rend.
> 	Render it as list-style-type="none" (i.e. no bullets), so that it has a
> function distinct from "bulleted".
> 	Change usage in the Guidelines prose to rend="bulleted" where we
> actually intend bullets.
> 	Change examples of @type="simple" to @rend="simple".
>
> "ordered": As we have discussed on the ticket and in meetings, "ordered"
> [...]
Paul Schaffner  Digital Library Production Service
PFSchaffner at umich.edu | http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/