[tei-council] head(er) scratcher

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 16 10:51:52 EST 2013

I'm currently scratching my head over a question about the TEI Header
from one of my French colleagues who wishes to remain nameless.

The problem is that they want to include *all* the metadata needed for
archival description of a resource in the TEI Header. Most of it is
fairly easily dealt with, but there are a few recalcitrant items,
notably everything to do with the physical organization (filenames, file
types etc.) making up a specific copy of the resource, ready to hand
over to an archive.

Where in the header do I say "the object described by this header is
stored in files part1.xml and part2.xml, both of type xml, and also in a
file called "graphic-1.png" which is a graphics file."?

I can put a <media> element in a <recording> to do something very
similar for the special case of a transcribed audio file, but what about
the more general case?

Any suggestions gratefully received, even ones of the "You shouldn't
want to do that" variety (which was my own first reaction).