[tei-council] tricky situations for using @validUntil

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Tue Dec 10 21:20:01 EST 2013

In the third solution ...

On 12/10/13 2:26 PM, Syd Bauman wrote:
> 3. just don't bother with @validUntil
> -- ---- ----- ------ ---- -----------
> Put prose warnings to users in the <remarks> for <msPart> and for
> <altIdentifier>. (It's already there in the former.) Put a warning
> message to users about the usage of msPart/altIdentifier in ISO
> Schematron code in a <constraintSpec>. Use the same date in all three
> places, and stop worrying about @validUntil.

... do I understand correctly that instead of relying on the build
process failing after the date specified in @validUntil to remind us to
actually remove something, we would rely on someone using Schematron on
some data involving the actual usage, noticing that the date has passed,
and reporting to us that we are overdue in actually removing it?  If so,
that would be unfortunate.  Would there be any way of making this
warning message with the date machine-readable so that the build process
could fail on this in the way that it fails with @validUntil as used
elsewhere?

K.