[tei-council] validUntil deprecated, so says Schematron

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 10 10:00:49 EST 2013

On 10 Dec 2013, at 14:29, Syd Bauman <s.bauman at NEU.EDU> wrote:

> Thank you, Sebastian.
>
>> ... run locally, which generates a different ValidatorLog.xml, so
>> this line now fails.
>
> Not quite. The Makefile tests ValidatoLog.xml for the presense of
> "<ERROR>", and fails before it does the diff.

ah yes, so it does

> In order to fix this,

> it seems to me we need to update Utilities/validator.xsl so that it
> knows about the role= attribute on <report> as well as <assert>.

drat. that was an omission. added a stanza and committed.

> But while I'm at it, this routine could stand several other
> improvements. Is its output used anywhere else, or can I make
> improvements without much concern? (Only has to match
> expected-results/, so not a big deal.)
its only used here so far as I recall

>> Now copy your ValidatorLog.xml file to
>> expected-results (if you’re happy its correct) and commit that
>> change. next time around, d.v. the test succeeds
>
> (What does "d.v." mean?)

Deo volente "God willing".  cf Insha'Allah.

> This means that we have to change ValidatorLog.xml every time we
> add or change a validUntil=. Do we like that result? Or would we be
> happier teaching the build process to ignore this whole class of
> error messages?

the point of the diff check is to see whether _anything_ changed
since the last build.  not the same as failing if there is an error.

> I'm going to submit a bug report to tweak the membership of
> at.deprecated.
> * remove <schemaSpec> and <valDesc>: pretty obvious, I think
> * remove <constraintSpec> and <macroSpec>: perhaps contentious?

i’d say not contentious for <macroSpec> at first blush. same argument applies as for classes.

deprecating a constraintSpec? yeah, maybe, just maybe. I can’t get my head round an
example, though.
Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services