[tei-council] Comments on the first draft of a new Guidelines sections

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Thu Nov 28 11:35:07 EST 2013

Hi all,

This is going out to the Text Directionality working group members and
to the TEI Council. At the recent Council meeting in Oxford, I
introduced the first draft of a proposed new section for the Guidelines:

<http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Text_Directionality_Draft>

The decision of Council was that rather than appearing in the front
matter of the Guidelines, the new section should become part of an
expanded Chapter 5 ("Languages and Character Sets"):

<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/WD.html>

This chapter would probably be renamed, and section 10.6.6 from Chapter 10:

<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/MS.html#mslangs>

"Languages and Writing Systems", would also be moved into Chapter 5.

I'd like to ask everyone to please re-read the draft of the Text
Directionality section within the next two weeks if you haven't done so
already, and make comments either on the questions page:

<http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Text_Directionality_Draft_Questions>

or on the Talk page:

<http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Talk:Text_Directionality_Draft>

or send them directly to me if you don't want to post on the Wiki.

I would particularly ask people who have little or no interest or
knowledge relating to text directionality to read through the text. You
should be able to grasp the issues without any background knowledge, and
I'd like to know where we might be assuming too much of the reader or
failing to explain something properly.

The Council minutes on this topic are here:

<http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Meetings/tcm56.xml#body.1_div.3_div.6>

All the best,

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)