[tei-council] Pure ODDness

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 20 06:27:38 EST 2013

As I proceed with implementing Pure ODD, inevitably a few
obscurities/uncertainties surface. Advice from Council members would be
much appreciated.

1. un-mixed content models

We decided to represent mixed content by means of an attribute @mixed on
the relevant container element (<sequence> or <alternate>). But how do I
represent a content model which in RelaxNG would be just plain old
rng:text ?

The choices seem to be
a) also allow @mixed on <content> and say <content mixed="true"> (even
though actually the content isn't mixed at all)
b) change the name of @mixed to something like @hasText, @allowsText,
@textual  and go with option (a)
c) introduce a model.contentPart element called <pcdata> and say

Preferences? Alternatives?

2. co-existence

I think we agreed that the old and the new method of defining content
should co-exist at least for the next release. How should that be done?

a) change the content model of <content> to permit either
model.contentPart  or macro.schemaPattern
b) change macro.schemaPattern to permit either model.contentPart or
macro.anyXML
c) define a new element (howabout <model>) containing model.contentPart
; allow both that and current <content> initially, then deprecate <content>

Now that I've enumerated them, I think I know which options I prefer,
but it would be good to see whether anyone agrees.