[tei-council] Electing a TEI Technical Council Chair for next year.

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 30 14:28:09 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I had a look at opavote.org and ran a fake election with a bunch
of my own email accounts. I can confirm what Peter suggested,
that an election can be run with entirely secret voting in
opavote where the person who set it up *cannot* know who voted
for whom. The Chair running the election can see whether personX
has voted or not, but not who for. Opavote has all sorts of
features, but can set up a fairly simple vote or those which
allow you to express your preference for candidates and their
order. The ballots are entirely secret, the voters notified by
email, and the final result of the ballot is open (but not who
voted for who). So I think using that system the existing Council
Chair can do it without any real impropriety. Do others strongly
agree/disagree with that?

After listening to the various points of view so far my
suggestion of a protocol is as follows:

1) Up until the last Friday in November, Council members for next
year consider whether they want to run. Before that date they
send a statement of some sort to the Council mailing list saying
why people should vote for them.

2) On the first weekday of December, if multiple people are
running, then the the Council Chair sets up an opavote.org
election with the names of the candidates. This should have the
following settings: Results only shown at end, "Instant Runoff
Voting" method, a single winner, "ranked enhanced" ballot type,
and candidate order shuffled.

3) The current Chair runs the election for at least 3 days in
early December; results are announced publicly on Council list,
and Council members given any chance to object before being
announced on TEI-L

4) The current Chair hands over to the new chair almost
immediately after the election, but assists them in planning for
the next year until the end of the year.  (Remembering that in
theory the current Chair might be departing off council at the
end of the year, though that isn't the case this year.)

Improvements?

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk