[tei-council] A newbie's hello

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Oct 30 11:17:19 EDT 2013

Hi Peter, and welcome to you and all the new members!

The release process is increasingly well-documented, and when we do it,
there's always a little team of us who purport to understand it
reasonably well, watching the process and hanging out with the "release
technician" in IRC. The main reason for having someone new (not
necessarily new to Council, just new to the release process) do it every
time is to get fresh eyes on the documentation; each time we learn that
one or two of the steps is not quite clearly specified enough, or
something is missing, and it helps us to improve the docs.

It can be a bit time-consuming -- we usually set aside a day for it, and
that day frequently starts in the morning in Europe and ends in the
evening over here on the Pacific Coast -- but we're getting better at
preparation, and hoping to cut that down; it's usually because we go
through the process twice or even three times because we notice some
tiny typo in the release notes or something like that. You're not
actually doing very much for 95% of the time -- just waiting for the
Jenkins servers to finish rebuilding the entire Guidelines to fix that
little typo.

So please do have a go!

--
Martin Holmes