[tei-council] Council Teleconference Monday 21 October 4pm Oxford time.

James Cummings James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 21 06:16:45 EDT 2013

On 20/10/13 23:59, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I'd be happier to do most of my bits by email.

Sure, but I'll leave it on in case anyone has any comments on the
following.

> *) The Board want us to consider running a TEI Hackathon to
> get developers together to show what one can if one has decent
> TEI markup. John Unsworth suggested that, for example, we
> could base this around using the d3.js library to visualize
> TEI material. We need to debate this. I was supportive of the
> idea.

I'm generally supportive of that idea as well. Would it make
sense to do it in conjunction with the TEI Conference? Or another
conference like DH2014?

> *) We need another Council discussion about what a "P6" in the
> broadest sense would mean. Board asks us to have a
> brain-storming discussion. More blue-sky thinking. Do we need
> to look again at a Dagstuhl workshop about TEI The Next
> Generation? (no Deep Space TEI, I thank you)

It seems reasonable to re-examine the issue.  In general I'd
argue a conservative tack here since we came up with a policy
when creating P5, as part of the Birnbaum Doctrine, and with the
specific idea that P5 would continue to have successive versions.

I think included in such a discussion should also be our release
structure within P5 more generally. Not really the process, but
the structure. There might be benefits if we move to a 'stable'
vs 'development' kind of structure as seen in many projects.  For
example, If we decided that things with X.X.0 version numbers
(e.g. 2.5.0) were stable and the points we'd recommend people
using for large projects and any versions not ending in a 0 were
considered 'developmental'. (This is similar to the proposal by

> *) Marjorie B wants us to adopt more cheatsheets (aka Best
> Practice documents). Add this to agenda for f2f?

Definitely add this to the face-to-face agenda.

> *) there was a general discussion about how to put a paper or
> session into DH2014 about why the TEI still matters. I think
> Elena is taking this forward, but if others want to get
> involved, they can talk to her.

They better hurry, deadline is approaching.

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk