[tei-council] Drafts of new Guidelines sections

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Oct 16 17:21:54 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a draft of new material for the Front Matter
section VI, "Languages and Character Sets", which involves adding two
new sections, adding to the title, and including some new items in the
bibliography. I want to bring the first draft of these changes to the
Council meeting in November.

I'm wondering what the best way to do this would be. I could introduce
all the changes directly into the Guidelines code, and let everyone have
at them in-place, but that's probably not appropriate because Council
will likely want substantial edits so they may not be ready for the
release that follows rapidly on the November Council meeting. At the
same time, I do want to present them in the context of the existing
Guidelines so the appearance and integration is clear, for me and for
everyone else. The alternative would be to work on a local copy which I
can build into a Guidelines version which has the changes, and then
merge them back into trunk by manual diffing once everyone is happy.
Which would you recommend? Lou, when you did the very substantial
changes for the genetic editing module, how did you go about it?

I realize this is exactly the sort of situation git is designed for
(fork and merge later). I generally argue against git because it's too
complicated for our needs, so I appreciate the irony here, but this is
the first time since I've been on Council I've found myself wanting this
functionality; it doesn't happen often.

On a related issue: I've obtained one set of permissions for the use of
a document image, I have another request under consideration, and more
will probably come along by the time I've finished. We've typically
acknowledged this sort of thing with an inline note in the Guidelines
text, like this from PH:

<note place="bottom">The image is taken from the collection at <ptr
target="http://ancilla.unice.fr/Illustr.html"/>, and was digitized from
a copy in the Bibliothèque Municipale de Lyon, by whose kind permission
it is included here.</note>

but presumably the original letters or emails are stored somewhere to
back up the acknowledgements. Where would that be?

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)