[tei-council] [TEI-DIR-WG] Outcome of TEI Council discussion on Text Directionality

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Fri Sep 6 12:37:53 EDT 2013

Hi everyone,

This message is going both to the TEI Council and to the Text
Directionality Working Group.

Following the discussion below in April and my presentation at the TEI
Council meeting, nothing has happened partly because I've been very
busy, but partly because I've been waiting for changes in the CSS
Writing Modes specification to settle down a bit, and for an answer to
the question of why bottom-to-top writing modes are not included in CSS
Writing Modes. I haven't had any luck with the latter so far, although
I'm waiting for a message to the W3C Style mailing list on the topic to
be approved.

Meanwhile, I've been revisiting the proposal for new @rotate*
attributes, and I wonder if there might be a better solution in CSS
Transforms:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-transforms/>

There are a number of reasons why I think this is a better approach:

1. It's an existing standard. Using an existing standard is always
better than rolling your own, especially when we have already bought
into CSS in the directionality part of the equation.

2. It's much richer than what we could achieve with our rotation
attributes; in addition to simple 2D and 3D rotation, it allows (for
instance) translation (moving an element relative to its base position),
skewing, rotation around different origin points, and many other useful
features.

3. It doesn't involve creation of any new attributes in TEI, so there's
no need for argument about what elements should carry them.

4. User agents already have some support for 2D transforms and that
support will increase over time. Where documents are being rendered in
web browsers, it will be simpler for rendering pipelines to pass through
CSS code where appropriate than to generate it based on TEI attributes.
(This is a pragmatic point rather than a point of principle, of course.)

If we do recommend an approach to layout description based on CSS
Transforms rather than on new TEI attributes, we'll be presenting a
unified approach to the two separate but related problems (true text
directionality and rotational features).

I'd be grateful to get feedback on this. If there's general approval for
the idea, I'll update the workgroup Wiki page and the ticket:

<http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Text_Directionality_Workgroup>
<https://sourceforge.net/p/tei/feature-requests/342/>

--
Martin Holmes