[tei-council] A question about building the Guidelines

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at it.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 31 12:51:37 EDT 2013

On 31 Jul 2013, at 17:11, Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca>
 wrote:

> But guidelines.xsl.model is still in SVN, and not in github, isn't it? Is the plan to move that to github too?

no, thats  part of P5 indeed

> I was following the instructions on the page you posted a link to before:
>
> <https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo>
>
> and I've been under the impression that's how you're supposed to work with Git. If the plan is instead to have a core team of people who can push to the master and merge changes, then we're sort of back where we started with SVN, except that third parties that we don't (yet) trust might fork the repo and request that we merge their changes -- is that the idea?

yes. we have core team members who have the right to push changes to master. the big new thing is that
the mechanism is clearly defined for how others can do a fork, make changes, and suggest a pull.

well, we should host them on www.tei-c.org, really. having them here is not good

> It's the essence of a setup in which we have a core set of contributors we absolutely trust, and another set whom we don't trust, whose contributions need to be examined before being merged. It'll be interesting to see how many external contributors like this emerge as a result of the change to GitHub.

indeed. play it by ear

Director (Research) of Academic IT
University of Oxford IT Services