[tei-council] A question about building the Guidelines

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Jul 30 20:28:33 EDT 2013

Hi Sebastian,

I'm looking at how to build my new functionality into the Guidelines
build process, and I find myself confused about how the old SVN code
interacts with the new GitHub code.

When I run make teiwebsiteguidelines, P5/Utilities/guidelines.xsl.model
is transformed into guidelines.xsl, and this pulls in two imports, which
in turn import other stuff:

   <xsl:import
       href="/usr/share/xml/tei/stylesheet/odds/odd2html.xsl"/>
   <xsl:import
       href="/usr/share/xml/tei/stylesheet/odds/guidelines.xsl"/>

These files are part of the deb packages, so in order to add and test
the new functionality, I presumably need to fork the git repo and use
the XSL= parameter on my make command to point to the stylesheets from git.

So then I edit my fork of the stylesheets until they do what I want.
Then I push those changes back to GitHub, and I send you a pull request.
Nothing happens to the master branch until you act on the pull request.
Is that right? If so, then aren't we all now dependent on you to bring
any changes into the master? Doesn't that make it much less, rather than
more, practical for other people to take significant responsibility for
working on the code? Now we not only depend on you to build the deb
packages, we also need you to merge any changes into the master
codebase. If you go on vacation while three people are busy working,
won't you have a stack of pull requests waiting for you when you get
back, and a potentially difficult job merging the possibly conflicting
changes, which none of the three will know about because they are
working on independent forks?

Or have I misunderstood the situation completely?