[tei-council] Popups for footnotes in the Guidelines

Syd Bauman s.bauman at neu.edu
Tue Jul 30 08:25:24 EDT 2013

> I do like the idea of pressing ESC to dismiss the box; not sure about
> the back arrow, though.

Yeah, as the "maybe" indicates, I'm not sure on the backarrow,
either. My guess is 75% of the time I hit it, I'm going to wish the
box disappeared. But the 25% of the time I want the box to stay, I'm
going to be *really* annoyed that it vanished.

> The hanging indent ... use a wider indent for all of them (because
> when they're displayed together, at the bottom of the page, they
> need to be consistent).

Yes, needs to be done in the XSLT, but why on earth should they be
consistent at the bottom of the page? The hanging indent should by
X+1 en spaces, where X is the number of digits in the footnote
number. (In most all fixed-width typefaces, and in many others, the
width of a digit is that of an N.)

> The width of the box is 22% of the page-width; perhaps 25% would be
> better?

Even more. I dunno, 33%. I've already sized my window to be a good
reading width, of course. What happens when the footnote gets too big
for the box is another issue involved, here.

> When you click a second footnote number while another footnote is
> displayed, the first one is replaced by the second; that's not
> unreasonable, but it would be equally simple to append the second
> footnote to the box below the first. Would that be better?

Hmmm ... hadn't thought of that. One could then build a custom
footnote display box that had the 3rd, 4th, and 7th footnotes in it.
Interesting idea.