[tei-council] <punctuation>

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 20 10:43:40 EDT 2013

On 20/06/13 14:40, Rebecca Welzenbach wrote: Do you agree that
<punctuation> should instead be a member of model.editorialDeclPart, or
is there good reason to stick with the original proposal to make it a
member of model.encodingDescPart?

Yes!

  2) As well as allowing prose content to describe the project's policy
for handling punctuation marks, we agreed to add some relevant
attributes. I propose the following: @marks : Just like on <quotation>,
this would be an optional attribute of the dataype data.enumerated, with
permitted values of "none", "some", or "all" to indicate whether
punctuation marks from the source text have been retained in the TEI
document. @location: this would be an optional attribute, datatype
data.enumerated, with permitted values of "internal" or "external" to
indicate whether retained punctuation marks are captured as content
within adjacent elements or placed outside of them. My model here was
the use of @location on <variantEncoding>, although the usage of
"internal" and "external" is not quite consistent between these two. Do
these two attributes seem appropriate? Sufficient? Suitably named and
defined?

Plausible propositions both, though maybe @placement would be clearer
than @location