[tei-council] <punctuation>

Rebecca Welzenbach rwelzenbach at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 09:40:15 EDT 2013

Hi folks,

I am implementing http://sourceforge.net/p/tei/feature-requests/377.
We agreed in Oxford to define a new element, <punctuation>, which
would be part of the <encodingDesc>, and allow an encoder to document
how they have treated a source text's punctuation marks in their TEI
document.

This element is meant to work something like <quotation>, but be more
broadly applicable for bits of punctuation other than quotation marks.
I'm about ready to try adding the new element spec (and seeing if
anything breaks!). However, I want to check on a couple of things:

1) Originally, we agreed that this new element should belong to
model.encodingDescPart
(http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-model.encodingDescPart.html).
However, it looks to me now like it fits much more sensibly in
model.editorialDeclPart
(http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-model.editorialDeclPart.html),
along with <quotation>, <hyphenation>, <normalization>, etc.

Documenting the treatment of punctuation clearly falls under providing
"details of editorial principles and practices applied during the
encoding of a text." And I don't think we want <punctuation> floating
around <encodingDesc> outside of <editorialDecl>.

Do you agree that <punctuation> should instead be a member of
model.editorialDeclPart, or is there good reason to stick with the
original proposal to make it a member of model.encodingDescPart?

2) As well as allowing prose content to describe the project's policy
for handling punctuation marks, we agreed to add some relevant
attributes. I propose the following:

@marks : Just like on <quotation>, this would be an optional attribute
of the dataype data.enumerated, with permitted values of "none",
"some", or "all" to indicate whether punctuation marks from the source
text have been retained in the TEI document.

@location: this would be an optional attribute, datatype
data.enumerated, with permitted values of "internal" or "external" to
indicate whether retained punctuation marks are captured as content
within adjacent elements or placed outside of them.

My model here was the use of @location on <variantEncoding>, although
the usage of "internal" and "external" is not quite consistent between
these two.

Do these two attributes seem appropriate? Sufficient? Suitably named
and defined?

Of course, once the spec is in place and not broken I will also add
prose to 2.3 (http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/HD.html#HD5)
and 3.2 (http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CO.html#COPU)
of the Guidelines to describe this change.

Thanks for your advice,
Becky